Today was more evil treadmill sprints.
This time they had barbell complexes thrown in between instead of abs. (Really, Martin? Really?)
I felt like I had to vomit, shit, and sneeze at the same time.
I swear to god Martin Rooney is trying to kill me.
Still, I understand why he has these intense interval sprints in the program.
The benefits are huge:
– Losing body fat while retaining lean body mass (muscle)
– Strengthening the cardiovascular system
– Developing “work capacity”, the ability to tolerate a high level of intensity for a longer period
– Improving fat and carbohydrate oxidation in skeletal muscle
– Challenging the fast-twitch muscle fibers — the ones that help build more strength, power, and size
– Developing mental toughness and resilience
Plus it’s all over in less time than it takes to say, “Screw you, Martin, I’m never running another one of these sprints again.”
Other highlights from Day 9
- Trying to explain why I needed to leave the treadmill on at full speed to a dude who wanted to use it.
- Lying in Kyle’s office at Gold’s Gym with the lights off and door closed after finishing the sprints.
- Rejoicing in the morning after weighing in and seeing that my weight jumped back up a few pounds.